Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cornhole: The Making Of

In July we took a roadtrip with my family out to Ohio for my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary.  During our short stay Devin and I got acquainted with the game of "Cornhole."  I had always heard people talk about this game, mostly my friends from the midwest, but never knew that it was simply a step up from the bean bag toss games we used to play at the yearly "Fall Festival" at church.

One of my uncles makes the boards and brought a few down to the family reunion.  Devin got right in there with my cousins to play and had a blast (I was hiding from all the mosquitoes who decided I was quite tasty).  It was no surprise that when we came home he was determined to make us a set.

Devin and his dad built the set in a few hours one weekend and we tackled the design and painting the following week.

Most of the wood was "donated" by my FIL, we only had to buy at couple 2x4 studs and some screws.  The dark brown stain was a coffee and vinegar mixture that I soaked some steel wool in for 36 hours.  We painted the turquoise stripes with leftover paint from our living room project a year ago.  Overall this entire project only cost us about $30!

It was so much fun to work on this project with the hubs (we make quite a great team!)  When we finally get a house and more tools we are looking forward to making more Cornhole.

Maybe the Colorado summer won't end soon and we will get a chance to have you over for a Cornhole Tourney!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment